Payment: $20.00 / hour
Contract Duration: 6 months
Hours per Week: 10-15 hours
The Upper Gila Watershed Alliance (UGWA) is a small watershed protection nonprofit doing a combination of advocacy, education, and restoration. Advocacy work includes a campaign to keep the Gila River free of diversions and engaging with the Gila National Forest on its revised forest plan. To educate youth about environmental issues, including climate change, we organize a variety of events for middle and high school students. Restoration projects include protecting springs and streams in the Gila National Forest.
Are you passionate about equity, climate change, and public lands? Do you love the outdoors? Are you familiar with how to raise awareness on issues that you care about by engaging different audiences on a variety of media platforms?
Our Digital Organizer position could be a great fit for you!
The Upper Gila Watershed Alliance is looking for a creative and energetic Digital Organizer to help us build an online community of Hispanic and Latinx voices who support protecting the land, water, and culture of the Greater Gila region, one of the wildest and most biodiverse landscapes in the country. As part of our Nuestro Gila campaign, the Digital Organizer will work with staff at the Upper Gila Watershed Alliance and our partners at The Wilderness Society to use social media, email marketing, and other digital tools to expand our reach, increase community engagement, build grassroots power, and organize on conservation and environmental-related issues in the Greater Gila.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage a plan for growing the digital audience in southwestern New Mexico.
- Build our base of supporters through social media, digital advertising, and other digital tools.
- Create compelling and engaging social media content, including graphics and short videos, to effectively reach our target audiences. Includes management and facilitating approval of social media calendar.
- Write advocacy email newsletters and distribute them through MailChimp.
- Manage, edit, and update our Nuestro Gila website using WordPress.
- Analyze the performance of social media posts, digital ads, and emails, and adjust content and strategies accordingly.
- Regularly monitor press coverage of the Gila; share relevant clips with the team and add to social media calendar.
- Relevant experience in digital and online advocacy, grassroots organizing, digital storytelling, or political campaigns.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing.
- Demonstrated prior commitment to equity work.
- An enthusiastic, highly motivated, self-starter with demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and effectively manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Must be committed to amplifying the voice and leadership of the Hispanic and Latinx community.
- Preferred but not required: Bilingual in Spanish; a strong connection to the Gila and southwestern New Mexico; ability to design basic graphics and video production.
- The contractor must provide their own computer.
- The contractor must provide their own office space or work from a home office. Must have reliable, high-speed internet access.
- The contractor must provide their own vehicle for work-related travel. Travel stipend provided.
- The contractor must provide their own cell phone for work purposes.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: “Application: Gila Digital Organizer”. Applications will be accepted until the end of the day on February 28, 2021. Interviews will be conducted remotely beginning in early March.
Upper Gila Watershed Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.